Search Engine Optimisation is one of the most important Internet marketing or Online marketing techniques. It refers to the process of improving the rankings of the web pages of a particular website in the SERPs(Search Engine Result Pages) of different search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.
What is SEO?
Search Engines are an important source of web traffic. Google, and other search engines namely Yahoo, Bing, etc. account for a considerable amount of incoming traffic to a website. Being a webmaster, this is a good reason to make sure that the website is well optimised for receiving visitors from search engines, particularly through organic or unpaid search results. Search engine Optimisation is the technique which is the most prominent, if not the only way to optimise a website to receive more traffic from the search engines. That said, SEO in most cases is a much complex set of tasks involving broad concepts and requiring extensive efforts.
How SEO Works?
In order to understand how SEO works, it is critical to understand the mechanism behind Search Engine Result Pages(SERPs). Search Engines, including Google aim to provide their users the most relevant results in the search result pages in order to retain users' trust. Thus, Google will only offer an appreciable rank to a webpage among millions of others on the web if it is apparently "relevant for resolving user query" in the eyes of Google. Considering this, the goal of an SEO campaign is to build the accessibility, relevance, and trust for a website, primarily from the point of view of search engines.
Difference between On-site and Off-site SEO
Based on the types of efforts employed to optimise a website for a better ranking in the organic or unpaid results of search engines, the SEO process may be classified into two approaches: On-page and Off-page SEO.
Despite of their contradictory nature, both On-page and Off-page SEO go hand-in-hand and are inarguably indispensable to ensure the success of an SEO campaign.
Benefits of SEO
- SEO makes the web pages search engine friendly, i.e. it helps the search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing to better understand the content and structure of the website which leads to healthy crawling and indexing of the website.
- By removing unnecessary blockages by files like Robots.txt, SEO makes sure that all the relevant web pages and resources(images, videos, documents like PDFs, etc.) are accessible to the web spiders or web crawlers of the leading search engines to get indexed in the search results.
- SEO makes the structure and navigation of the website smoother to understand for both search engines and users.
- Good quality internal links to a domain’s web pages are strong positive signals to Google and other search engines, also improving Page Authority(PA) and Domain Authority(DA).
- It ensures that the content of the web pages is well organised and that search engines find it relevant to satisfy user query.
- Finally, Search Engine Optimisation often also considers User Experience(UX) & User Interface(UI) factors, like page speed, font legibility, etc. which may indirectly influence search engine rankings by impacting parameters like bounce rates! Thus, SEO is not just limited to search engine friendliness, but it takes into account user friendliness as well!
These were just a handful of the promising benefits which make the SEO process an undeniable deal for a website. Search Engine Optimisation is a vast field, and an essential role-player in the digital marketing course of a website. There are numerous factors which directly or indirectly affect the PageRank(PR) of web pages. Also, it is important to stick to white-hat SEO techniques, as the misinterpretation of black-hat SEO practices may attract ranking penalties by Google and other search engines. It not uncommon to see webmasters accidentally performing Negative SEO against their website, resulting in a loss in their website rankings. The SEO industry is a much dynamic one, with Google updates rolling out at a rate of more than seven per week!
Thus, it is important to hire an SEO which is really an expert in this niche. Over the years, W3villa Technologies has been a prominent player of the global SEO industry, and among other SEO companies in India. Do contact our SEO experts for any query you have regarding our search engine optimisation services.